Landscaping Your Home

I love trees, shrubs, flowers, color, nature, rocks, benches, bird baths...yes, and even grass! I've always loved color but I don't know when the gardening thing hit me. The homes I've owned have all had a blank canvas for me to design. They have been sold with a much improved landscape, but the home I'm in now is probably the one I'm most proud of. I say that now because I am still hard at work designing it.

My daughter teases me..."Mom, did you draw this one out too?" Yes I did! I sit out on my patio drawing, dreaming, designing, visioning, and reading about different plants and flowers. I have binders I refer to when I'm wanting to know what to plant, how to take care of bugs or diseases, and when to transplant.

There are three times I can think of that my creative mind is at work:
  1. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. That, my friends, is this morning. Not about landscaping originally...but about a Top 10 list. If I could write in the dark I wouldn't forget these things when I get up!
  2. I think of things to do, people to see or talk to, emails to send, things I need, you name it...when I'm driving. Unfortunately, I can't write as fast as I can type, and I shouldn't be writing then, but I do it and hope I can read it and it makes sense. It's called a legal pad with scribbles. I'm wondering if I should invest in a micro-recorder!
  3. The last, but not least, is when I'm out watering my flowerbeds. As soon as I put down the sprayer, the thought is gone. But trust me...I've taken paper out with me knowing the moment may strike.
So where are you in landscaping your home? By definition, home landscaping, means arranging or modifying the features of the grounds around a home to improve the property from the standpoint of aesthetic ideas and/or practical usage.

If your property is about to be listed, you need to think in terms of "curb appeal". You are essentially landscaping for other people's tastes -- namely, the tastes of potential home buyers.

A spiffy home landscaping design increases real estate value. The average figure yielded by studies over the years is a range of from 7% to 15%. Let's just use the 15% number as an example, even though that figure is on the high end. Putting that percentage increase into perspective: for real estate valued in the $200,000 - $225,000 range (before considering its home landscaping), an effective home landscaping design could add $30,000 to its value. How often do you get to make a $30,000 decision?

Below are just a few tips for home landscaping ideas:

  • Observe what other people are doing with their home landscaping designs. I get tons of ideas when I'm showing or listing property. I have always loved real estate and looking at homes. You can still find me driving neighborhoods just for the fun of it. 
  • Magazines, books, television and the Web all provide an abundance of information on what kinds of home landscaping designs are currently "selling." Knowledge is power. That knowledge could lead to more return on your investment!
  • Consult with a professional in the landscape design field.
  • If you don't want to pay for a landscape designer's advice, at least try to minic some ideas from your local nursery. Ask people, we all love sharing what we have done or what we know!
  • Real estate agents see the reactions of potential buyers to home landscaping day in and day out; consult with them on trends or how to improve what you have.

Homebuyers are seeking low maintenance landscapes, the most striking design with a focal point, or accent, and year-round visual interest. If you have that, you will see your home sell quicker than those homes that have little or no landscaping. I've seen it time and again. The home with landscaping will more than likely sell quicker than the home right next door with nothing, but priced closed to the same.

I'd love to hear about your landscape designs, what's worked, what's not, how it improved your property!

No comments:

Post a Comment