Moving...again...

My parents are moving again which reminded me of when they moved 5 years ago after being in my childhood home for more than 30 years. Thus, the question: How do you go thru all the stuff you have accumulated for 20-30 years and not get overwhelmed?

At that time, they lived in a ranch style home with a basement. We knew it would take time to go thru everything, so since they thought it would be a year before they moved, I suggested we divide the house into 12 rooms, that way they had a month on each room and only that room would be in an upheaval. They needed a system, so it was "Keep", "Donate", "Pitch", or see if the kids want it.

The goal was set: move in a year. The plan was made: work only one room at a time so as to not get overwhelmed. The system was in place: keep it, donate it, or pitch it.

Little did I know, how I helped my parents, who are now in their 70's, would be the exact "idea" I would assist my clients with who are either downsizing, moving into an Assisted Living Center, or nursing care. 

It can apply to anyone moving though. You don't have to wait to get so-called "Old" to do this. People move all the time, never going thru the boxes of old tax returns, credit reports, or even old magazines...just moving it with them.

In all reality, we keep more than we ever need, buy more than we really need, and stash more than we'll ever see again! So before you dismiss the idea...the holidays are quickly approaching and you will be getting your decorations down from the attic. What are you bringing down, thinking you will put it up, but you don't. Get rid of it!

Happy Keeping! Happy Donating! Happy Pitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment